Saturday, August 23, 2008

El primero de España!

Hooray! I´m in Spain! It took 4 flights, 3 layovers, several granola bars and a lot of mental translation, but I made it. So far, Sevilla is ridiculously hot. I mean, super duper, sleep-on-the-tile-floor hot. It´s also gorgeous, but only in some areas. Other areas are your typical city setting with lots of apartments, buses, and graffiti.

My host parents are Ana and Pepe. At first glance, they look like retired beach bums. At second glance, they look like retired beach bums on a schedule. I haven´t had time for a third glance yet. They´re both really nice and keep feeding me delicious food. It´s a good thing we´ve been walking so much or else I´d get fat in a flash. Yesterday I talked with Ana about all kinds of things, including her granddaugter and my niece. They´re about the same age, so that provided a good deal of discussion.

Today we went to Italica, which is this town of Roman ruins a little ways outside of the city. It boggles my mind to think that amazing things like Roman ruins are practically commonplace here. I´ll have some more to say later, but for now this is all the time I have. Adios!


The Roman ampitheater
Passage ways leading to the stands

More ampitheater
Some really excellent mosaic tile. Everything left here is original.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see that you had written! Continue to take amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete