Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cordoba, Cordoba, Cordoba

Finally, I have time to write an update about Cordoba! This is exciting for me because I really, really enjoyed Cordoba. Or, to be more specific, I really, really enjoyed the mosque at Cordoba.

Some of the girls at the ruins of Zahara!




On this particular trip, we first went by some ancient Arab ruins about 25 minutes outside of Cordoba. The site was once a Moorish palace, built by some really rich and powerful guy for his concubine (at least I assume that concubina is the Spanish word for concubine. I could be wrong.). The palace and surrounding grounds were named Zahara, after the aforementioned concubine. I think the relationship between this king and his woman must have been pretty powerful because it was pretty clear that the palace was a huge deal back in its day. The buildings and gardens were almost completely destroyed by the Visigoths, but the little that was left screamed elegance and luxury.


After the Arab ruins we went on to Cordoba, which is famous for its silver jewelry (some of which I bought) and the mosque-converted-to-a-cathedral.




The mosque was more incredible that I can convey to you in words. It was huge, grand, immense, but never domineering. The arches were full and tall, and the was a wonderful sense of peace within the place. In fact, I felt that mosque was a far more spiritual place than some of the cathedrals we've visited. The only downsides to the mosque were the areas that had been infected by the Christians' gaudy, tacky alters made of solid gold and dripping with disdain for the common man. Very disappointing, since I sort of feel that "Christian" structures would be better if they were welcoming to people. Again, I could be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such a neat place! Glad you're getting to experience all of this!!

    ReplyDelete